About Me

My photo
Bigfork, Montana, USA
Bigfork Bay Cotton Company is a full service, brick and mortar quilt shop, as well as a retail/wholesale pattern business. You can view our pattern line on our website, but on a more personal level, we'd like to invite you into our shop and share with you the joy of quilting in our corner of the world!

Friday, November 13, 2009

WOVEN RINGS SCRAP QUILT





This is another one of those scrap quilts that can be very simple to make, but with a little extra planning, can be a WOW quilt. The elements used in the block are very simple. You will use the same three basic units I talked about earlier, 2 1/2 inch square, 4 1/2 inch square, and 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch rectangle. Or you can use one of the alternate sizes I posted a few days ago. Your finished block will be twice the size of your larger square, so my finished block measures 8 inches. You will use the "connecting corners" method to make the quarter snowball unit. The block I have shown is completely scrappy, but you can choose to calm things down with one background fabric, as shown in my "finished" sample. Another way I have calmed things down in that quilt is to make each ring out of one fabric. This takes some planning as you are making your blocks, but the extra effort, I think, is well worth it.




In this multicolored version I have once again used the same fabric for each ring. In addition, I have "finished off" the rings with two pieced borders. This sounds much more complicated than it actually is. It is easily accomplished using snowball blocks and rectangles.

No comments: